I thought today’s blog post could be more aimed at self recovery because many people unfortunately have no option but to do this. For me, there was no other option. Although I do live in England and you’d think I would have access to support. Not the case. I had help in form of medication but whenever I asked for therapy, it was kinda brushed under the carpet and now I’ve been asking and waiting since 2012 I’d say. Anyway, this isn’t about me, my blog post is just some tips of self care and recovery.
1. Meditate. I know many people do not enjoy doing this but this is something I occasionally do. Occasionally because lack of time, not because it doesn’t work. Ithelps so much. It is proven to relieve stress and calm anxiety SOOOOO much.
2. Bathe or shower. Stay clean. This is often overlooked but having a quick shower sometimes may help. Now, I’m not saying taking a shower will cure your depression. But it may cheer you up a lil bit. Have a bath with a bath bomb, light some candles etc etc.
3. Cut negativity out of your life. This is tricky because you may not notice what is exactly negative in your life. But, get rid of toxic friends. Believe me, friends who constantly bring negativity in your life are not friends. It will not help you in the long run if you continue being friends with people who hate everything and bring that upon yourself. Surround yourself with positivity and hopefully, you will become more positive. (this worked wonders for me)
4. Understand you can have bad days and down times. This is another tricky one because your mind tends to deny yourself of the ability to be sad or sensitive sometimes. Don’t be afraid to have days where all you do is stay in bed and watch movies if this is what you need. These days are okay if they aren’t all the time. Also, don’t be scared to ask for help if you need it.
5. Daily affirmations. Try and give yourself a compliment daily. This may be difficult depending on your mental health struggles but there’s no harm in trying. Look in the mirror and voice some positive things about yourself. Say your tummy looks cute af or that your face is pretty because believe me, they are.
I know all of these MAYYYY be difficult to do some days but no one says self care and self recovery is a one day job. It takes time. But once it happens, it’s the best thing ever.